We are aware of an issue in Finale v27 on macOS 13 Ventura where the mouse cursor may disappear when hovering over tool palettes and some dialog boxes while using Simple Entry.
This issue occurs when using the Simple Entry tool to enter notes with your mouse. In this method, the cursor appears as a gray note when hovering over the staff. If any floating tool palettes or certain dialog boxes* appear in front of the document window and overlap the staff, the mouse cursor will disappear when you move the cursor to the overlapping window.
Simple Entry “note” cursor disappears over palettes & dialog boxes
* Affected dialog boxes include:
- Audio Units Banks & Effects
- Audio Unit Viewer (ARIA Player)
Here are some tips to reduce or avoid the disappearing cursor:
- Position your tool palettes up against the far edges of your screen.
- Press and hold the OPTION key while you click the green button in the top-left corner of your Finale document. This repositions the document window beneath the palettes so that they no longer overlap the staff. This prevents the cursor from disappearing when hovering over the palettes.
- If you cannot move larger dialog boxes away from the staff due to screen size, then deselect the Simple Entry Tool by pressing ESC on your keyboard. This activates the Selection Tool and reverts your mouse cursor to a standard cursor that will not disappear when hovering over those windows.
Due to the nature of this issue, we are unable to determine if it is related to Finale or Apple at this time. We can confirm that it has not occurred in operating systems prior to macOS 13 Ventura. Please be assured that we are working closely with Apple to find a permanent solution. Please click the “Follow” button at the bottom of this article to be notified of any updates.