If you rely on Finale, MakeMusic recommends not upgrading your OS to macOS 14 Sonoma just yet. For more information, see macOS 14 Sonoma and Finale Notation Products.
We have discovered an issue with Finale v27.3 on Sonoma in which the Add Instrument button and Instrument column within ScoreManager do not respond to mouse clicks. This blocks users from adding instruments to existing scores. This may possibly affect older versions of Finale as well.
Our team is actively investigating a fix for this issue. Click the Follow button at the bottom of this article if you’d like to be notified via email when this issue has been resolved.
In the meantime, if you have already upgraded your OS to Sonoma, then you can add instruments to existing scores with the following workaround:
Add a blank staff
- Choose the Staff Tool.
- From the top menu, select Staff > New Blank Staves.
- Type the number of desired new staves and click OK.
Apply an instrument change
- Using either the Staff Tool or Selection Tool, select the first measure of the blank staff.
- From the top menu, choose Utilities > Change Instrument.
- Select the desired instrument from the list and click OK. Finale applies the appropriate staff name, clef, and staff transposition to the new blank staff.
- To place your staff in proper score order, please see this video on reordering staves.
- Repeat these steps as needed for additional new staves.
Create a linked part
- From the top menu, choose Document > Manage Parts.
- Select New Part to add a blank part to the list and click the up/down arrow buttons to place the part in the desired order.
- Select Show Part Definition to expand the dialog box.
- Select Edit Part Name, type the desired part name, and click OK.
- Select the corresponding from the Available Instruments column on the far right and click Add to Part. Click OK.
- To view the newly-created linked part, select Document > Edit Part > [Part name] from the top menu.