School networks are designed to maintain a safe, secure environment for students and teachers to have access to software without dangers of viruses or other harmful material. SmartMusic can succeed in these environments when properly set up in advance and administered with the information below in mind.
After you have installed SmartMusic on a computer with the Administrator account, limited users should be able to run the software without problems (some directory permissions may need to be modified; refer to the list below for specifics).
This article assumes you have updated to the most current version of SmartMusic. These updates are always free from the SmartMusic website.
This article is for school network administrators – teachers will not have the ability to manage most of the settings listed here.
General Network Information
The following websites are used by SmartMusic and should be added to your whitelist - please note, not all of these websites are accessible through a web browser, but still need to be added:
- ssl.google-analytics.com (HTTPS)
- Add *@smartmusic.com and *@makemusic.com to your email whitelist - business transaction and assignment management emails are sent from these two domains
- Add "smartmusic.exe" and "SmartMusicUpdater.exe" to the network and local machine whitelist if applicable
- SmartMusic can connect to the Internet through authenticating and non-authenticating proxy servers (currently, we support ISA and non-authenticating Squid proxy servers)
- Authenticating proxy servers will prompt SmartMusic to ask for the authenticating username and password and an option to allow SmartMusic to remember this information (preventing the user from having to authenticate each time)
- If necessary, you can specify your network's HTTP, HTTPS, or SOCKS5 proxy server inside SmartMusic's Help menu by selecting Proxy settings, then Use custom settings
- SmartMusic uses an embedded browser and does not use Internet Explorer or Safari
- SmartMusic will need permission to download files of the following types:
- DAT, ID, JPG, PNG, MANIFEST, MASK, MDX, MP3, MUS, MUSX, GZ, REV, SF2, SFX, SMCFG, SMSPEC, SMX, VIV
End-user Computer Information
- Complete system requirements should be reviewed prior to purchase and are available online at our system requirements page
- SmartMusic needs to be installed to the client machine on drive C:\ (SmartMusic cannot be run from a network location)
- Windows XP – all users will need permission to allow changes to be written to the user data file folders below:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MakeMusic
- Windows Vista/7/8/10 – all users will need permission to allow changes to be written to the user data file folders below:
- Windows: SmartMusic requires a DirectX-compatible sound card (ideally a PCI sound card, but most USB sound cards should be sufficient)
Additional Information for Macintosh
- Macintosh computers require a USB microphone, available here
- On Macintosh, we only support manual proxy authentication (no PAC support) which can be set up by selecting the Help menu, Proxy settings, then Use custom settings
- SmartMusic may ask to access keychain information that contains the proxy authentication information
- Individual users will need read and write permission to this data file folders:
- Macintosh HD > Users > (current user name) > Library > Application Support > MakeMusic
- Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > MakeMusic