The new music sharing features are designed as a method for sheet music creators to quickly and efficiently share their content with performers for practice in a digital environment. This will allow collaborators to more effectively use rehearsal time by providing a more direct connection between the creator and performer and enabling musicians to dynamically interact with the sheet music.
Note: although the new music sharing features are part of the web-based SmartMusic, you don’t need to be a teacher or a student to use them.
Users can export Finale-created content from the program using MusicXML and then upload and share it with their musicians through the online music sharing platform. The process is simple: export from Finale, upload to the web using the Compose app, and share with performers from the Compose app or the Content Manager.
To Export From Finale:
- From Finale go to File > Export > MusicXML...
- Save the file as a .mxl file. (.mxl format is recommended but .musicxml and .xml files can also be used).
To Upload Content:
- Go to compose.smartmusic.com and login to your account, or create a free account if you have not done so already.
- Choose Import MusicXML, MIDI or SMZ.
- Select the MusicXML file you exported from Finale.
- Click Go and confirm that each staff is assigned to the correct instrument.
- Edit the document, if necessary, using the tools in the Compose app.
- Choose File and click the Save to your SmartMusic account button. The Composition Saved notification window appears.
To Share Content:
In the Compose app
- Click the Share button .
- To share privately to individual users, click the Share File Privately button and enter the email addresses of your recipients.
Note: you can also create a link to your document that is accessible by anybody with the link: click the gear icon to switch to Content Manager.
- Check the box to confirm that you own the content or have permission to share it, and click the Share File Privately button. A success message is displayed.
In Content Manager
- Choose Content Manager from the app picker in the upper right corner, or log in to your account at contentmanager.smartmusic.com
- Choose the content you want to share from the left sidebar.
- Click the Share button to share privately with individual users, or choose Public Share Link to create a link to the content accessible by all users with access to the link.