I have a playback problem that's been coming and going for weeks, but now seems to have come and settled in for a long-term stay. To wit, Finale is 95% of the time ignoring my playback speed. To show the problem to you all, I have simplified it in this way:
- I took my current large (3500 bars) single-staff Finale document, and deleted all but its first four bars and its first Layer.
- Then I did an "Edit / Clear All Items" of everything in those four bars except "Notes and Rests".
- Then set the Playback Controls tempo to "quarter note = 400"
- And I set the Playback Controls / Playback Settings / Human Playback Style to "none"
- And I cleared everything on Playback Controls / Playback Settings / Playback/Record Options
- And then I do a playback.
It should play back very rapidly. But for me, it plays back very slowly. The Playback controls tempo is ignored.
If you like, please download http://www.gwzz.com/slow-sample.musx, open it, set your Playback Controls tempo to "quarter note = 400", and do a playback on it. Does it play fast -- at the requested speed -- or does it play slowly? If it does play fast, change it to "quarter note = 20". Does the playback speed change to match?
On my machine and file, generally either the playback cannot be made slow, or the playback cannot be made fast. Sigh. Unpredictably. The real Tempo-Expression settings within the full score are completely ignored. Am I crazy? Is my computer crazy? Is Finale crazy? Oh dear.
(I am running Finale 2014d.v5030 on Windows 7/32-bit. I have been a Finale user, off and on, since 1992. The current project is my most ambitious Finale project ever.)