I received an email from Finale saying to not update to Apple Mojave and it would not work with V25. It also said that all V25 users were going to get free update to V26. When do we get this free upgrade? Thanks
MM later said that Finale 25 would work with Mojave after all. They had to wait until the official OS release before they could be sure. They never claimed that all Finale 25 users would get a free upgrade to version 26, unless perhaps you happened to have bought version 25 very recently, which would seem unlikely.
Should we have to? Some people bought v25 a year or less ago and it now has limited use with no plans to fix it. Not sure who made this decision but it’s not right. I can think of no other software company that doesn’t support a previous version for a year or two after they sold it to customers. Poor decision.
I sort of agree. If a product isn't working properly - and by this, I mean an actual, acknowledged bug, and not a case of not working the way the customer wants it to work - then I feel the company has an obligation to make it better.
On the other hand, if Apple released a new OS that conflicts with your product, why should it be your responsibility to fix it?
I really do think, though, from a "customer satisfaction" standpoint, they might at least release an update to F25 to make it Mojave-compatible, if it's possible.
This is an acknowledged bug and they stated in previous email they were going to send out a fix. Now instead of fixing they are telling us simply purchase v26 and it will work properly.
Apple us going to have another MAC OS update a year from now. Finale has been through OS updates before and took care of its customers. But this time they are choosing to alienate us and try and force buying new version. Really, it stinks.
According to MakeMusic, 25.5 and Mojave are compatible :
Hi all, to provide some clarity on this I thought I'd provide some info here. When Finale v26 was announced back in August (https://www.finalemusic.com/blog/coming-soon-finale-version-26/) this was intended to be a paid upgrade. There was communication near the release of v26 and the release of Mojave about v25 that may have been a bit confusing considering the timing. We did recommend that users avoid upgrading to Mojave because we still did not have sufficient information on v25 compatibility with this OS or what the official public release of the OS would be like.
After the public release was out, we found that there were no major issues and considered v25 compatible without an update. This is different from the slow performance that some users may see as this was possible on prior macOS versions and known prior to Mojave. This was a focus with v26 and there was considerable work and changes put into the program to improve this. With amount of work needed to help speed up performance on macOS a full upgrade was needed as an incremental point release would not work for this.
We do plan on doing more work with Finale v26 and overall Mac performance throughout the version's life cycle.
Here is the rub. You guys sent out an email warning to not upgrade to Mojave because v25 was not compatible. And you would be sending out a fix. Ok great. Then after Mojave is released you send out another email saying her v25 works fine with Mojave. No update needed. So I update to Mojave and then find Finale does not work well with Mojave. It lags horribly. Had I known that I would not have updated to Mojave. I contact Finale support. I am told it’s easy fix. Simply upgrade to v26 and it will work good again. We were given misinformation that v25 works well with Mojave and also that a fix was coming to make v25 compatible with Mojave. If a person bought v25 6 months ago he got totally shafted. I know I do.
I have evaluated upgrading to V26 only to cure the (run in low res option) that I have had to endure since upgrading to V25
In V26 I have experienced other glitches to the simple entry that don't quite work without a (command d) redraw. I thought initially it was an automatic layer addition that was occurring but it wasn't , when I get time I will video it and log it properly.
I won't be upgrading yet to V26 my V25 was only bought to fix other problems. It really does seem to me that I have paid an awful lot of money in the past year to fix things rather than benefit from upgrades.
I was going to stay with V25 and upgrade to Mojave but that path looks like it needs further investigation before I change anything.
I have asked MM about a free upgrade but they have declined I made clear it was because of my experience with what was a known issue to them before I purchased the V25 upgrade.
Have an iMac, work with Finale 25.5.5.0259, with Mojave version 10.14.2 operating system, yet am unable to input notes from Midi keyboard. I have to imply rests of same values of notes first, then impose notes in place of specified rests. As I'm now trying to purchase Version 26, hoping for suitable notation input (whether using speedy entry), why am I told that version 26 is not available to me yet? Thanks for an answer because I rely too heavily on Finale notation for my music arrangements works.
Jacqueline Hairston (Long-time MakeMusic customer)
Jaqueline, I have removed your serial number from your post for you. As Mike posted it's not a good idea to have this on the forum.
Regarding your issue, this sounds like a MIDI input issue rather a Finale version issue. Please feel free to get in touch with us directly and we will be happy trouble shoot this with you.
Please sign in to leave a comment.
22 commentsDate Votes