I am a Finale user since 2000. I use it for transcribing scores for my amateur orchestra.
I have lost a lot of time in learning and using your interfaces in Pickup notes and Chord Tool.
On Pickup note (Anacrusis): It is literally a big pain to insert an anacrusis in a score having a repeat section. Everything has to be done in a dirty way, which includes introducing errors in the count of bars.
Even worse is Chord Tool interface. I have to report several deep deficiencies:
- Notation is intended for guitar players, excluding all of us which are not; this is so evident that you even show the fretboard immediately after the chord definitions. We, classical musicians, we use basso continuo (figurated bass) chords.
- Terminology is not standard, beginning by the fact that there is no notion of "suffix" in chords terminology.
- Entering a chord is a nightmare. Let's say I want to enter a 6 over 4 chord. I go through a list of 259 chords, to find that chord 220 is the 6 over 4 I need.
- Defining my own chord with the Chord Suffix Editor is not intuitive. Just try to read your own manual of the Suffix Keynumber Offsets dialog box. Do you really understand it ?
1) Completely revamp your Anacrusis (Pickup note) interface. It should be as easy as
1a) Right-click + "Pickup note - Define current measure as a Pickup note bar",
1b) Right-click - "Pickup note - split current bar", to use it in a Repeat using the beginning Pickup note bar.
1c) Bar numbering should stay still unsplit.
2) Completely revamp your Chord tool, giving us the choice of:
2a) Using Guitar Chords, Basso Continuo Chords, and any other convention at our choice. Do not use guitar interfaces unless requested by guitar musicians.
2b) Use a pentagram to place our chord, for example let us enter a 6 over 4 encoded as three notes G, C, E knowing that the lower C is the tonality fundamental.
2c) Do not use the "suffix" term, as there is no notion of suffixes in chords theory
2d) Have a checkbox, that when checked, resolves the chord by explicitly showing all chord notes as they will be played
Don't let MBAs design your interfaces. Let musicians do it.
I use Finale 26.3 and Windows 10, but this is common to all versions and OS.
Thank you for your kind attention