I am re-writing a score (lead sheet with chords and lyrics) and am changing from cut time to 4/4. All the chords end up spread out, and don't follow where they were in each measure. Is there a way to make this happen when changing note durations?
If I understand you correctly, you are changing from 2/2 time to 4/4 time, with 50 % note values, so that what was two measures of 2/2, becomes one measure of 4/4 (and the piece gets only half as many barlines) - right?
My guess is that the order of the steps is important:
1) Change all Default Whole Rests to Real Whole Rests (use the plug-in).
After step 4) - when you are done - you can change Real Whole Rests to Default Whole Rests.
2) Change the note durations by 50 % (Utilities menu > Change > Note Durations…), with Rebar Music de-selected.
3) Use the Time Signature Tool to change the time signature to 2/4.
In the dialog box Time Signature, make sure that Rebar Music is de-selected.
At this point all chord symbols are in the correct measure, but some of them need to be moved to a previous beat.
You will have to do this manually; I do not think that there is an “automatic” solution.
When a chord symbol has been attached to the correct beat, clear the chord symbol’s Manual Positioning.
4) Use the Time Signature Tool to change the time signature to 4/4.
In the dialog box Time Signature, make sure that Rebar Music is selected.
- and change Real Whole Rests to Default Whole Rests.