New post
Avatar
0

I've started having a problem with a piece I've been working on, and it seems to be related to Human Playback. Harp notes are showing up in the playback where none are scored. They seem to be random notes in the same key as the piece, but completely out of rhythm. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of the problem, with no success. I tried restarting my computer, but that didn't clear up the problem. I switched to another harp sound, but no change (used both the Harp KS from Garritan Instruments and the Salvi Harp from Garritan Harps.) I know it's in the harp part, because when I mute that part, it goes away. When I export the file as WAV audio, it is consistently there. Turning off Human Playback makes it go away, but of course, that makes it sound mechanical. 

Has anyone else encountered this?

6 comments

Date Votes
Avatar
0

To illustrate my problem, I am attaching a jpeg of the score, as well as recordings of it. In the recording, the first part is the full instrumentation playing. The second is all instruments except harp, and the last is just the harp with some rhythm included for context.

https://raverill.podbean.com/e/harp-anomaly/

 

Comment actions Permalink
Avatar
0

You might try this: Select the entire score, right-click with the selection tool. From the drop-down, choose Clear Selected Items... In the next screen check only MIDI Data > OK. This often clears superfluous data that causes such things.

Comment actions Permalink
Avatar
0

Thank you so much for your kind reply. No, it didn't help.

Comment actions Permalink
Avatar
0

Since you've already tried Mike's suggestion...

  1. Is it possible that some of the chords from the Lead have attached themselves to the Harp?
  2. Where did the original score come from? If you downloaded it (especially via MIDI) is it possible some Keyswitches designed for standard instruments were imported in the wrong octave for Finale's "Notation" instruments?
  3. You could try exporting (either the whole piece or just the Harp part into XML and then opening it in a new file or scratch file (if you just exported the Harp) from which you could copy and paste it back into your original document, either in the old Harp location or in a newly created, replacement Harp instrument.

 

Presumably you've looked at the Harp in Scroll View and at the Harp part itself and have the parameters set to see hidden notes in gray.

 

Admittedly I'm grasping at straws here. I just listened to your recording: it is truly odd, what I hear. If worse comes to worse, you could use the "Submit a request" link at the top of the page to send your Finale file (or a segment of it) to MakeMusic Support to see what they make of the problem.

Comment actions Permalink
Avatar
0

Thanks for your reply. I did the XML thing and that corrected the problem!  I don't understand what I did or why it fixed it (don't really know much about XML files), but it did!

Again, thank you, both Mike and Adrian, for your help with this matter.

Comment actions Permalink
Avatar
0

XML (for all intents and purposes) records the visual specifications of your file, so hidden/playback aspects would not be copied when you export to XML. That's why it works.

Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.