New post
Avatar
0

Dear Community,

I have someone transcribe Bach's Invention #13 in Finale and it came out 1:1 when compared to the original notes. We then export it from Finale into MusicXML and upload it to Piano Marvel (and loving it) to play and learn. We need to have our digital version in MusicXML to look exactly the same as the printed version, since we have to use the acoustic piano at school and we use printed notes there.
There's a significant formatting issue that we're seeing with MusicXML exports from Finale that I need your kind help with.
 
As you can see in the original score there're 3 measures on the second system (staff) - see red arrows.
 
 
In Finale 27 it was noted as follows. As you can see - still 3 measures per system (staff) - see red arrows:
 
 
The Finale 27 file is accessible here:
 
However, when it's exported from Finale into MusicXML it comes out with 2 measures in the 2nd system/staff (starting with 3).
I did try to open it with a couple of the tools such as MuseScore and SoundSlice and it's the same, leading me to believe this is in the structure of the MusicXML.
The exported MusicXML is located here:
 
As I type this out I thinking to myself is that a Finale-specific issue or is it somehow a limitation of MusicXML as to the number of notes per system?
 
Could you kindly advise on the best way to be able to export systems 1:1 from Finale to MusicXML?
 
Happy to share more details on this, just ask.
 
Thank you indeed!
Roman

5 comments

Date Votes
Avatar
0

Hi, not enough information. You don't say how you are exporting nor how you are importing. It can easily be operator error or you exporting a higher version than other apps support—or both. Do not expect perfection though your best chance at it is if both apps support MusicXML 4 (I think that only Finale 27 does at the moment but Sibelius should be coming soon with Dolet 8, currently in beta).

 

For starters, Finale supports MusicXML export to 5 versions that you set in Preferences or can override as needed (see the User Manual). Best results are usually obtained by matching the export version to the highest version that the other app supports. Last I checked, Sibelius does not yet support versions 3.1 introduced Finale 25.3 nor 4, introduced with Finale 27 — if you export higher than v. 3, Sibelius might not display properly. This may have changed in the last few months. I know that Sibelius isn't your issue but it is mine.

 

MusicXML is a developers' toolkit and must be implemented, not something that developers just drop into their applications. The accuracy of imports/exports depends on the developers of those other apps and the features that are implemented. The current version of MuseScore's .xml import is greatly improved but used to be horrible. I haven't checked to see what version of MusicXML they support.

 

I do a lot of file swapping among apps, mostly using Notion to import and assign VIs to Sibelius files, both using .xml 3.0. Now that PreSonus has been bought by Fender and MakeMusic is beta testing Dolet 8 (a tool for Sibelius users to make MusicXML more compatible), who knows what I'll be doing in this regard in months to come. I can guess that I'll be telling my Sibelius clients to add D8 when available and I'll be using Finale 27 to open those scores — or not. We'll see…

Comment actions Permalink
Avatar
0

Thank you for the idea and the details, Mike! It really helped!

We went and did try to export with different versions of the MusicXML, while ultimately reverting to version 4. This time we made it uncompressed and long and behold it worked.

We doubt that this had much to do with compression, as we were in touch with the developers and maybe the magic has coincided. Piano Marvel is now able to render measures per system correctly. I still think they are secret Santas behind the fix ))) and I thank them for their continued support!

Comment actions Permalink
Avatar
0

You’re welcome. This is great!

 

I recommend editing the title of your original post and adding the word, Solved. This will help others with similar issues searching for solutions.

Comment actions Permalink
Avatar
1

Sorry for the prolonged silence. After further testing, it does appear that proper rendering in Piano Marvel only works with MusicXML 4 with the uncompressed export (compressed version of MusicXML even with version 4 doesn't work).

This is how you set MusicXML version: File -> Export -> MusicXML Preferences:

Then during the actual export make sure to select obscure option which doesn't have word compressed in it ;)

With this, you will have a proper rendering of measures per system/staff.

Thanks, Mike for steering me onto it. Changing to SOLVED now. 

Comment actions Permalink
Avatar
0

Glad to help.

Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.