There is a known issue in Finale 2012 and later on certain Windows computers where the device selected for output in the MIDI Setup window is consistently reset on playback. At this time, this issue appears to be limited to computers running the Windows 7 operating system.
In some situations, it is possible to prevent this issue by manually adjusting the FINMIDI.ini file:
- Close Finale
- Go to C:\Users\[your account]\AppData*\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2014
(*AppData is a hidden folder. To show hidden files and folders, go into Explorer's Organize Menu, Folder and Search Options, the View tab, and select the "Show hidden files and folders" option.)
- Open FINMIDI.ini (it should open in any text editor).
- Find the line that starts: OutName1=
- Type the name of your MIDI out device. This needs to match exactly what displays in the MIDI Out settings in Finale (if you're using the same device for input, you can copy it from the line that says InName1=). Case, spaces, etc. must be exact in order for Finale to recognize the device.
- Save this file and close it. Make sure your text editor does not append any extensions other than .ini to the file
Now launch Finale and try to play back a file. It should hold your MIDI out settings. However, opening the MIDI setup dialog box in Finale can cause the problem to reappear, which would require the FINMIDI.ini file to be manually edited again.