Some users may experience an issue where Finale prevents them from undoing/redoing. This issue can appear for a couple different reasons.
- The entire Edit menu is grayed out in Finale
- The Undo/Redo options are grayed out in the Edit menu of Finale
- Next Steps
Edit Menu is grayed out
If the entire Edit menu is grayed out, it could be that there is no file open, or the Launch Window, or some other dialog box is active. Make sure a file is open in Finale, and if the menu is still grayed out, make sure any dialog boxes have been dismissed.
Undo/Redo is grayed out
If only Undo is grayed out, try resetting Finale's Preferences. To do so, try following these steps:
- Open Finale. Close the Launch Window if it appears.
- Save all work you have open.
- From the menu at the top, select:
- Windows: Edit > Preferences
- Mac: Finale > Settings (or Preferences on macOS 12 Monterey and earlier)
- Click Reset All Preferences.
- When warned about resetting preferences, click Yes. Finale will close itself.
- Note: the pre-selected option in this window will be No, so manually click Yes.
- Relaunch Finale.
- Open a file and make a single edit, such as adding in a note.
- Attempt to Undo.
If the issue persists, we recommend trying a comprehensive reinstallation. This is different from a standard reinstallation, as you'll be deleting Finale's program data and starting from scratch. Please make sure as you delete the folders in the steps that no personal files or Finale score files are saved in these folders. To perform a comprehensive reinstallation, please follow the steps in this guide:
After uninstalling, feel free to check out this guide for reinstallation:
If the issue still persists after successfully resetting your preferences and successfully performing a comprehensive reinstallation, please submit a support ticket and our team will help you troubleshoot this further. To submit a ticket, click Submit a request at the very top of this page and fill out the form, describing your issue in detail. One of our team members will reply to you via email within a business day.