Finale 2014.5, a free maintenance update for Finale 2014 owners, is no longer restricted to playback at 44.1 kHz and can play at any sample rate supported by the selected audio output device. Additionally, Finale 2014.5 automatically selects another output device rather than crashing when audio devices are removed. Click here for information on Finale 2014.5.
Finale 2014d and earlier versions are only compatible with speakers and sound cards that support 16-bit/44.1k. Some devices, such as many Bose speakers, only support a sample rate of 48k. If possible, try to select 44.1 for your device (not all devices will allow this).
- From the Start menu, choose Control Panel (Windows 8 users: Hold down the Windows key and press the letter I. Then choose Control Panel).
- Choose Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage Audio Devices.
- Click on your audio device and click the Properties button.
- Click the Advanced tab and select "16 bit, 44100" (sometimes called CD Quality).
- Click OK twice and try launching Finale.
- Open Finder choose Go > Utilities and open Audio MIDI Setup.
- Choose Window > Show Audio Devices (if you see Window > Hide Audio Devices, skip this step).
- Click on your device.
- Choose "44100.0 Hz" and "2ch-16bit Integer" (you may need to do this for both the Input and Output tabs).
- Now try launching Finale.