When launched, Finale scans your computer for printing devices that it can use. If it finds a conflict with one of your devices, this conflict could cause Finale to hang when launched. To determine if the freezing of the application is due to a conflict with a printer, please follow the steps in this article to deactivate the Print Spooler service.
If you have already taken these steps, and have determined that stopping the Print Spooler service allows Finale to launch, please restart the Print Spooler service from the Services window and follow the steps below to manage your printing devices and try to narrow down the possible problem devices...
- Close any open programs.
- Hold down the Windows key on your computer keyboard and press the letter R at the same time to open the Run dialog box.
- Type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotes) into the field of the Run dialog box.
- Click OK.
- In the Device Manager window expand the Print queues section.
- Try disabling all of the printer devices by right-clicking each device and choosing Disable.
- Enable one device at a time, launching Finale after each reactivation to see which printer causes the issue.
- Once you have identified the problem printer, please try reinstalling the latest drivers available for that device.
In the event that you have a printer that will still not allow Finale to launch, please feel free to report that printer conflict to Customer Success. They will be able to report this conflict to our development team for consideration. In the meantime, you can either choose another available printer for use and leave the conflicting printer disabled, or you stop the Print Spooler service, edit your Finale document, export the file to PDF (File > Export > PDF), restart the Print Spooler service, and then print the exported PDF.