If you are using Finale and find that you do not have audio output from other applications, most likely this is due to settings in the Windows Sound Control Panel. Follow the steps below to modify these settings so that multiple applications can access and use audio hardware simultaneously.
1. Close all open applications.
2. Press the WINDOWS key + R, the Run window opens.
3. In the Run window type "mmsys.cpl" without the quotes and click OK.
4. The Sound Control Panel opens.
5. In the Sound Control Panel, double-click on the current Default Device. The Device Properties Panel opens.
6. Choose the Advanced tab. Then deselect the option for Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device. Choose Apply and OK to close both windows.