I downloaded the Petaluma font file (petaluma.otf) from GitHub where many open-source SMuFL fonts are housed. I installed it in Font Book on my Mac but Finale 27.1 won't allow me to change a score that currently uses the Finale Ash font (SMuFL) to Petaluma because it thinks it isn't a SMuFL font. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Have you installed the JSON file that accompanies it? SMuFL fonts have a metadata file (sort of like a FAN) that contains various additional information that can't be stored in the font, such as stem connection points.
The file needs to go to:
/Library/Application Support/SMuFL/Fonts/Petaluma/, and must be named Petaluma.json. (NB: top-level Library.)
(Other fonts similarly must have theirs in a folder and file of the exact correct name.)
On Windows, it's:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMuFL\Fonts\ (etc, etc)
That’s what I was looking for in terms of guidance. Thanks. I have the JSON file but didn’t find anything in the manual as to where it should go. The otf files are easy because that’s just handled by Font Book in the OS. My understanding is that Finale can’t yet fully apply everything in a JSON file so it will be good to see how that develops over time. Thanks.
So I copied the code and created the .json file. Petaluma definitely loaded. But I'm getting the ? in a box for any instances of a natural sign in a parenthesis (what you get by typing P in Speedy Entry). If I create a natural in a parenthesis while the default font is Petaluma, it then creates a ? box for other accidentals that were already there. Guess I'm sticking with Finale Ash for now. I do have Petaluma, Petaluma Text and Petaluma Script installed (the .otf files) so odd that this is happening. Thanks.
Yes, Finale goes slightly "off-SMuFL" with its implementation of bracketed accidentals. By default, it looks for a single character comprising the accidental and both brackets, in the range U+F5D5 to F5D9. No non-Finale SMuFL have a glyph there, unless they've deliberately chosen to accommodate it.
The SMuFL standard calls for separate glyphs for brackets, with a ligature character for the combined forms.
I've just added the Finale accidental glyphs to (my) Sebastian SMuFL font this week.
I upgraded to v27.1, and I am trying to convert a non-SMuFL file to a third-party SMuFL font. After installing the .json file to the appropriate directory, I was able to convert the file.
However, expressions still use the non-SMuFL characters. If I go into the category designer and change the music font to the third-party SMuFL font I just converted to, my expressions all become nonsense characters. That part of Finale doesn't seem to recognize the font correctly, even though I was able to convert the music file.
… However, expressions still use the non-SMuFL characters. If I go into the category designer and change the music font to the third-party SMuFL font I just converted to, my expressions all become nonsense characters. That part of Finale doesn't seem to recognize the font correctly, …
I do understand, but I would not say that Finale “doesn't recognize the font correctly”.
Rather the matter is that you are switching to a new font technology (= SMuFL) which positions the music font glyphs in other font slots.
A SMuFL font contains many, many more glyphs, using many more font slots than the older “legacy” fonts.
And the SMuFL font slots are (well) organized in another way than the slots in the “legacy” fonts.
What you experience, is that Finale recognizes the font slot numbers correctly.
Unfortunately the new SMuFL font technology has other glyphs in the same slot numbers.
I do not have a solution for you (other than manually editing each expression).
Possibly the font slot number conversion can be done by some sort of utility (plug-in?).
Actually, I think there is a better way...
If you switch from "Maestro" to "Finale Maestro", the program does map all of the expressions for you. If you are using a third-party font that has the same glyph positions as Maestro, those ought to map too—at least for the large number of common musical symbols that are identical in both.
I see that in the Finale 27 install tree, there's a directory called "SMuFL Conversion" that contains one JSON file for every legacy Finale font. These JSON files contain mapping instructions from the old fonts to the new. I made a copy of the "Maestro" file in this directory and named it for my third-party font. The conversion still does not work, so there is probably one more thing that I am missing. However, the logic is there for the MakeMusic fonts, which means there should be a way to get it to work for others.
@Ben: I'm using MTF-Cadence from Music Type Foundry. The font package comes with separate SMuFL and Finale Legacy formats. My docs are using the legacy version, which goes by "MTF-Cadence-Fin".
To convert to SMuFL, you must do the following:
1) Convert the document font from MTF-Cadence-Fin to Maestro. Do the same in the Category Designer.
2) Change the document font from Maestro to Finale Maestro. The program converts all of the expressions correctly.
3) Now, change the document font to MTF-Cadence. Do the same in the Category Designer. This works correctly.
In other words, the full conversion works correctly as long as the source and destination fonts are from MakeMusic. Once you have a fully SMuFL-compliant document, you can switch easily to other SMuFL fonts. But getting there is a multi-step process.
Please sign in to leave a comment.
11 commentsDate Votes